Monday, September 15, 2008

Losing Friends...

Besides people from high school, I have two friends who have known me for 11 years. They met me when I was 15 at a church camp. We have seen each other through college, relationships, ended relationships, marriage, and kids. We have grown from the kind of relationship you have between brother/sister, to the kind of relationship you have with a friend you've known and seen through just about everything. We aren't the closest we've ever been, but we still catch up every once in a while.

But in that same 11 year time frame, I have lost a lot of friends as well. I have lost them BECAUSE of college, relationships, ended relationships, marriage, and kids.

Recently, I was talking to a friend about a friendship that I might have to lose for a while so that we can regain a healthy one. And through reflecting on it, I have realized that this is the best way to go about things. And I realized that all of these friendships that I've lost over the years have had this same moment. This moment of me trying to make something work that doesn't. A friendship is still a relationship, and sometimes it's just as hard as or harder than a dating relationship to walk away from.

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats