Saturday, September 27, 2008

It has come to my attention that my readership doubled this week. That's kind of put a lot of pressure on me to actually do something worth reading. It also has made me realize that I can't get as personal any more. That makes me sad a little. But for all 15 of my readers, I will post a special blog after this one. :-)

There is someone in CPMG who is one of those photographers that will whip you around, pull you, sit you exactly where she wants you to be, and takes the picture. In turn, she gets amazing photographs. I mean, Amazing.

I absolutely hate when people do this to me, so I try not to do that when I'm taking pictures. I try to be stealth, sit on the sidelines, and wait on the action to happen.

I think this is why my interest is in wedding and documentary photography. When I was in Africa, I enjoyed more than anything to sit and watch the kids reactions to us and vice versa. People would ask me if anyone was taking pictures of me, and once I returned, I found out they really hadn't. Which, honestly, is absolutely fine since I was make-upless and hair dryerless for 10 days.

But it has also come to my attention that if I do get to the point where I can really do wedding photography... like, really do it, not just be the tag-along second shooter like I'm striving to be now... I will actually have to pose people. The thought makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

I think that's why I love the work that Scarlett Lillian and Cheyenne Schultz do. No posey, "OK, now we're going to line up the bride's family. OK, now the groom's family." But still, this also creates its own challenges. What if someone ends up in a dark spot? What if someone moves? How do you get a bridal party of 15 to all look good simultaneously without saying, "OK, now, smile big!"

A friend of mine and I have both decided that when we get married, we will pick the photographer based on who can make us look good. I think I just want to line all of the photographers up and say, "OK, you have one shot, make me look hot. Whoever does, you're hired."

1 comment:

  1. LOL, it can definitely be a challenge. I do have to always get the "line up and smile" family shots, but I just don't blog about those. :-)

    Thanks for the shoutout!

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats