Saturday, July 12, 2008

My best critique

I posted the raw images (not to be confused with RAW images... just the unedited) from Saturday's Thrive performance on a photography site to be critiqued. Right now, as hard as it is for me to take, I like for people to critique.

Anyway, I got this critique on the site, and I thought it was pretty great. For the first time, it wasn't about f-stops or ISO's, it was about how to really shoot.

"... The fact that it was a Christian band was your goal. Highlight their clothing, the emotion of the singer, and even the crowd enjoy the praise and worship. That would have been my mission. You can do it. You understand exposure, atleast enough to pull this off. (just don't know if you know much about studio work or not.. that's all) Make sure to go in looking for a common thread, and not a hard drive full of pictures. You pics are good, but I'm sure you have much more in you to convey through your camera. Thinking about the sincerity of the people singing for God. Think about the passion they have. Not doing it for the money or the fame but to praise and worship. I'm writing a small essay, but this is what you want to think about the next go around. Don't sweat pixel peeping..(people do entirely too much of that.. I personally don't want to see another 100% crop!!! please), but what's your job. I had a great boss that would tell me that I didn't have anything to shoot, then don't shoot it. What are you trying to say with your camera? How are you using the elements involved to do that? What are the small details that will make people say "I never thought of that"? Composition and camera settings will be second nature after a while and your doing good job at it now."

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats