Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I am NOT a photographer

Saturday night, after my hands had been itching all night, I finally couldn't stand it anymore. I remember sitting beside my friend Mike one night when he kept talking about how his hands were itching for a camera, and I thought he was insane. I now understand what he was feeling. I reached under the table, grabbed the camera, and began to shoot.






Someone came up to me and was checking out the camera. They asked if I had been hired to shoot the party. I couldn't help but crack up. (Although, I will confess now that it took every bit of restraint to not rent a flash)


Some of my favorite people are photographers. Mike Comer, Audrey Mann, and David Johnson to name a few. Not to mention the fact that I am a professional blog stalker of one Cheyenne Schultz and Scarlett Lillian (be forewarned... these two ladies' sites are a window drug to photography).



But me? I am not a photographer. Just a poser.



A couple of years ago, I was the marketing director for River Hills Country Club in Lake Wylie. We were on a shoestring budget, so my love of great graphic design and photography got put on the back burner, and I had to figure out a way to get around it. So, I have a great eye, right? I'll be able to do it.

So, I downloaded Adobe Illustrator, sat down with my idea for a brochure, and started working.

The only thing was, I had never used Illustrator.

The guy that I was dating at the time was a graphic designer, so I called him up. "Ok, what are you trying to do?" he asked. I explained. "Ok, find the pen tool." "The WHAT?" Big heavy sigh from him. "Amy..."

Here I am again, some of my favorite people photographers. They've been wonderful. David stole my camera one night to show me low lighting techniques (which ended with "your lens is crap" and "just use the flash and deal with it"), Mike has put up with my endless shooting at parties, usually followed with, "Miiiike, how do I...???" Becky has given me shopping tips which led me to Biggs Camera (wonderful, nice people!)

So, here's my public "thank you" to all the professional and semi-professional photographers who have put up with me. And here's to a future filled with me being a poser...

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats