Tuesday, July 22, 2008

'Cause I'm Leeeaaaving On A Jet Plane

I've been trying to wait until Sunday, as I'm sitting in the Charlotte-Douglass or in the Detroit Airport waiting on my flight, but I know that with as crazy as things have been over the past month, there's no way possible I can make it that long.

Jenn called today, and I didn't realize how far behind people really are in things going on. I guess I owe you all a pretty big apology for that, so, yeah, uh, sorry.

First off, I know it's really crazy to compare 2 weeks with 2 months, but I understand now a little more why Dave separates himself from the crowds before trips. Mine hasn't been because I'll be in a secluded area in Darfur, but because as I have been trying to pull everything together for the trip, I just haven't had time or even energy to keep up with everybody or everything. It's not that I'm trying to push people away, but that I just am not making an attempt to pull people in.

Secondly, thank you so much to everyone who has supported me, both emotionally and financially, for the trip. I feel like this has dragged on forever, so if it feels that way to you as well, I apologize profusely.

I can speak a bajillion times to the details of this trip. It has been insane. From making sure shots were timed just right to dinners to meetings, I have been so concentrated on getting prepared physically that I don't feel like I'm even remotely prepared emotionally. People keep asking me if I'm excited, and I can honestly say that I don't think it will truly sink in until I'm actually on the plane. For the first time Sunday, as we were standing on stage as a team (and sitting through 4 hours of church...) it started sinking in that this is actually going to happen. Wait. It's not here, yet.

People keep asking me what happened with my dog. Sorry for those that have already heard this, but the short story is that she had been pretty steadily declining in health over the past year. With the trip coming up, I just didn't feel comfortable leaving her with anyone who didn't have a 150% love for dogs. This led to questioning whether it was fair to leave her with anyone, particularly since in my heart I felt like this person would probably have to make the decision with my dad to put her down. So, after a long discussion and a lot of tears, we made the decision to go ahead and do it. In terms of how I'm doing, I'm honestly trying not to think about it, but there definitely is a different feel around the house right now. Molly and I are definitely missing something. Keep me away from puppy ads, I might be tempted to get another Border.

Robbye is graciously going to keep Molly, my Jack Russell. I'm hoping she will be able to see the sweet side of Molly, not just the hyperness that was her this weekend when they met.

So, here's the plan for the next week. Friday night my family is coming up for the going away dinner our team is having at the chuch. I was put in charge of it, so of course there will be a theme (something about coming together from different areas for one mission... still working on it). We are going to early service together on Sunday then taking a bus up to the airport. If someone wants to get my car from the church and park it safely at their house, I would appreciate it, but it's not necessary. We will be flying through Detroit and Amsterdam (note: Amsterdam is NOT a country, but it IS in Holland AND the Netherlands). We will be returning on the 6th (Dave, sometime you need to train me on the tricks of figuring out time changes) via a 24-hour layover in Amsterdam. Our flight gets in around 10PM Wednesday night.

Yes, there will be lots of pictures (3 x 5 glossy's for Matt). I will attempt to blog, because it's fun, but I'm not sure what the computer situation will be. I also have no idea what the phone situation will be, either, only that there is some way to transfer sim cards or something while in Europe, so if someone has tips, let me know (*cough* like people who used their Verizon blackberries in the mountains of Kenya *cough*).

All right, this has now officially become way too long for a 10-day trip. Just wanted to update y'all all at once. :-)

The website for the project: www.kenyaorphanageproject.org

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats