Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Just a fun blog

In the next couple of days, I'm going to have a really sad blog on here, so I figure I need to post a really funny blog on here.

As you all know, I will be heading to Africa in 11 days (woo hoo). We will be flying through Amsterdam. Here was a recent conversation that happened about Amsterdam.

"Where is Amsterdam?"-Me
"I think it's in Holland. I remember seeing pictures of Tulips when I've seen pictures of Amsterdam."-Jill
"And Holland's in the Netherlands, right?"
"No, it's just in Holland."
"No, the Netherlands is that region with the three finger-looking things. And those three fingers are countries. Holland, Sweden, and one other, I forget..." (If you know anything about geography, this is where you get to laugh at me)
"Oh... Yeah, I remember the three finger-looking things. But Netherlands is a country. And Amsterdam is in Holland. I'm pretty sure. I saw tulips. Tulips are known in Holland."-Jill (Picture her making hand motions in the shape of three fingers)
"Hmm... Well, is Amsterdam a country?"
"No! It's a city! That's why you're flying into it. Airports are named for the city, not the country."

(I think you get the point.)

Just for the record, Jill and I were both educated in South Carolina, specifically in the Rock Hill School District 3.

By the way. Netherlands ARE NOT the three finger-looking things, but it is a country. HOLLAND is a province in the country of Netherlands. And Amsterdam is a city in the province of North Holland.

Who thought of naming a country "The Netherlands." I mean, that sounds like a region to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats