Sunday, February 15, 2009

I went to see He's Just Not That Into You today. I actually have not read the book, but a friend gave me the book "It's Called a Breakup Because it's Broken" a few months after my last dreadful breakup, and I loved it, although I was pretty defensive about accepting it at first.

The movie was definitely not a Christian movie, but has the same lessons that Christians are currently talking about when it comes to dating. The moral: Boys pursue girls.

What I found myself laughing about were most of Maggie Gyllenhaal's lines and character traits. Most of us haven't been quite this bad, but can also relate to the whole, starting-at-the-phone-until-we-convince-ourselves-it's-ok-for-us-to-call-him ordeal. And, ok, so I've been known to wait until the last minute to pay my bills. Whatever.

But I have another theory about why girls do this. Or at least, I know this is why I do this. We want clearly defined roles in the relationship. We want to know whether we're friends, talking, dating, or in a relationship. So, our calling a guy when he isn't calling us isn't necessarily because we are that crazy about the guy, sometimes it's just because we want that definition, even if it's a rejection. We want the guy to just man up and say, "Yeah, not really interested, but thanks for asking."

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats