Monday, February 16, 2009

I have an opinion.

There are lots of big kid questions that came up this weekend. Lots of things on my mind that I've been wondering about.

I know of this church in Charlotte. I went once. Wasn't really my thing, but whatever. But a lot of people really love this church. Like, they're crazy about it. It's the best church ever. So, I decided to talk to one of these people who is so crazy about this church, and ask him why he was ok with certain things they do. He said he wasn't.

We went on to talk about how leadership within churches is always flawed. I don't mean this in a talk-bad-about-churches kind of way, more in a realize-your-minister-is-human kind of way. For me, that concept is pretty easy. I lived with a minister for 18 years.

But the dangerous thing about this is that, if you don't question your minister, you can easily get swept away in the noise and not be able to separate what is Truth from what is fiction.

When I first started going to Good Shepherd, it really made me uncomfortable. A lot. So much, that I called James-Michael and asked to meet with him. Talbot sat in as well. As I was firing questions at them, they answered openly and honestly. And although I still didn't agree with everything they said, I decided to stay. The things that I disagreed with weren't dealbreakers, just disagreements. And you have to respect a guy with an opinion who's open to discussing it.

It's ok to disagree with your minister. Lots of people do. It's not ok to bash them over the head with how horrible they are and how flawed they are. Trust me, they're aware. Probably a lot more than you think. But I think to not question your minister can be dangerous in a lot of ways.

The second thing that I've been thinking about lately, is can a true follower in Jesus be active in the Charlotte party scene?

A friend of ours threw this massive Super Bowl party. I didn't go, because I heard a lot of people left early on. He told me that he was disappointed that his Christian friends didn't stay. He thought it would be cool if there was a mix of Christians and non-Christians. They had left because they weren't comfortable with everything that was going on.

It poses an interesting thought, though. Christians get accused of staying in their "bubble" but the Bible also says to flee from temptation. Which thought is correct?

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats