Thursday, August 14, 2008

When I came back, I knew there would be a little more of a culture shock returning than what there was going. I've been thinking for the past few days and trying to put my finger on why that is, and I think I can break it down a little better.



The day before I left, I talked to a friend who elluded to thinking there were some plans for my life that I thought were already thwarted. Dreams that I had already given up successfully were put back at the forefront of my mind. On top of this, the normal "drama" of American life was here and happy to greet me. The first couple days I couldn't put my finger on what to be upset about. I mean, a LOT happened while I was gone, and a lot of life continued the way it was before, too.



But now that I've had time to sort things out in my brain, I think I've figured out how to sum it up. People told me that Africa would be a life-changing experience. People told me that it would move mountains for me, that my entire life would be planned out, and that I would come back an entirely new "me." So, when I came back and my problems weren't solved magically, I think I didn't know how to take it.



But now that it's been a week, I think I can wrap my head around some things, particularly why that was the wrong attitude to take. I think that if you expect mountains to move big time, you won't be grateful when they just tremble a little. Going out of the country has put more of a fire in my heart to pursue and research international economies, which is something I had been dabbling with for a while. Many of you know my plans for grad school, but I couldn't put a finger on why. I still probably can't, but I know that if I put all of my focus in international economics, that would give me the passion to get through. I know, the conversion rates of the dollar probably make most of your eyes glaze over and the discussion of nationalized healthcare probably makes you sick, particularly since this year it has been talked about more than ever. But for me, economics has always been a combination of my two loves: numbers and politics.



Secondly, I came back to people whose lives had moved on more in 10 days than I remember their lives moving in 3 months. And for me, who basically put my life on hold for 10 days so that I could go, that was pretty tough to take. To say that I'm competitive is an understatement. Why do you think I'm in fundraising?


I don't want to give people the wrong impression. It wasn't that it was a bad experience or that I didn't enjoy it. It's just that now that I'm back, I'm trying to figure out what life is after Africa...

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats