Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Size 6 is Not Fat

So, I love Meg Cabot for mindless, poolside reads. I mean, her stuff is definitely not intelligent (no offense, Meg, you know I love you), but it is fun. I got a friend of mine hooked on her Boy Meets Girl series, that uses a mixture of e-mails, letters, and other correspondence to tell a story.



The last of her books that I read was Size 14 Isn't Fat, Either. I didn't read Size 12 is not fat, but from the title I can figure it out. Particularly since my mindless poolside reads have also included Devil Wears Prada, which for anyone who has read the book or watched the movie knows, talks about how size 2 is the ideal for women.

Over the summer, though, I started getting pretty bummed about my weight. I am one of those weirdos (or normal people?) who gains weight that is not evenly disbursed. Very annoying. But I was noticing in pictures where the rest of me was starting to catch up. So when I was in Africa, I made the decision to suck it up and get a gym membership when I got back, if I could find one for $25 or less. So, the first day back at work, Peak Fitness was there with a huge sign saying, "Memberships $25/month." Yup. I'm a sucker.



So I got my gym membership, and along with it came a free personal training session. They did all of the measurements, weight, BMI, etc... And guess what? Even though my size 6 pants are loose, I was on the high end bordering unhealthy (but not quite there) according to my BMI.

For the past month, I have gone to the gym three days a week. I haven't lost any weight, which is extremely depressing, but my endurance and physical capabilities have greatly improved. A normal day now includes running 3 miles and the weights have steadily increased (I've been told that there's a point where women need to watch that, though, to keep a "womanly" figure.)

I'm very excited to go back and have my BMI checked again. But even more than that, I'm excited to start running and working out with people actually in shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats